Love For Your IT Band
Self-Myofascial Release techniques on a simple piece of foam, can improve flexibility, function, performance, and reduce injuries. In a nutshell, you use your own body weight to roll on the round foam roll, massaging away restrictions to normal soft-tissue extensibility. You can perform this program at home. You can find foam rolls at most local sports stores.
Iliotibial Band or IT Band
- Lie on one side, with legs on top of the foam roll. Cross the top leg over lower leg, with foot touching the floor and the bottom leg raised slightly off floor.
- Maintain optimal head alignment (ears in line with shoulders).
- Draw abs in and activate glutes.
- Slowly roll from hip joint to lateral knee to find the most tender spot.
- Once identified, hold tender spot until the discomfort is reduced by at least 75 percent. Don’t’ forget to breathe!
- Progress to the next tender spot and hold again.
- Always repeat on opposite leg.